Notice of Race, 2022 Tampa Wind Sports Invasion
Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions
2022 Tampa Wind Sports Invasion
This is the Fourth Annual Tampa Kite Invasion (now Tampa Wind Sports Invasion), a fundraiser for wind sports enthusiasts. A 15 mile downwind race involving all wind-driven boards and vessels. Offering a fun and exciting way to give back to our Tampa Bay waters. We will be generating proceeds based on auctions, raffles, food, sponsors and entry fees. All proceeds will go directly to TAMPA BAY WATCH to help rejuvenate our estuaries and local waters. Sum 70+ kiteboarding entries every year. We hope to include other sports this year like Windsurfing, Wind Winging, and Sailboats.
Captains Meeting: September 30th, 2022 at Elite Watersports @ 7:00pm Streaming on Facebook Live. Drinks and Raffle
Race day: October 1, 2022 As early as 9:30am Fall back to October 2nd
HUGE party and Award Ceremony: October 1st,2022 @ Elite Watersports 7:00pm with band, food, games, drinks, raffles, auction and awards ceremony. 300+ people
Where: “Google Map Search the locations as they are spelt”
● From: Lassing Park 2042 Beach Dr SE, St. Petersburg, FL 33705
● TO: Skyway Beach google “skyway beach”
Divisions: WindSurf, FOIL, WIND WING,TWIN TIP, SURFBOARD and Sailboats
Registration: EliteWatersports.com, then in the search bar type “Tampa Wind Sports Invasion Registration” Cost: $75.00 per competitor. With the option to donate more.
Charity Organization: Tampa Bay Watch
-Liability waivers and jerseys will be passed out on race day-
● Radio: VHF Channel 68
● Cellphone: 727(800-2202) Text encouraged.
Scoring: Score will be done individually for each division. The first competitor across the finish line wins Line Honors and then the first competitor, from each division, to cross the finish line will win First Place in their division. We will require all competitors to be teamed up with another competitor in that same division. Each competitor will be scored separately but this is a mandatory requirement to provide additional safety. In order to be scored, you must have accounted for your team mate.
● Line Honors: Male and Female
● Beat the record: 15min 48 sec set by Zack Marks 2021
● 1st Place: Twin Tip
● 1st Place: Foil - Male and Female
● 1st Place: Wind Wing - Male and Female
● 1st Place: Sailboat
● 1st Place: Windsurf - Male and Female
Updates: Starting @ 7pm on 9/28/2022 then every evening following until Race Day. Posted on our home page blog on EliteWatersports.com
● Ability- This race is designated for experienced riders that have background in downwinders and self-preservation. If you have not done a downwinder you should not attempt this one as your first. There is no solid exit point. After you commit to the start, the next exit is 10 miles away.
● Equipment- All competitors are required to wear the provided orange jersey for visual aid as well as a personal floatation vest underneath. It is advised to wear a personal locating beacon device along with VHF for extra safety. Bring your phone! Race smart and invest in safety.
● Actions- In the event of needing a rescue. The racer is required to do a “self rescue”. Which is ejecting from the kite, wrapping up the bar and lines, getting to their kite and using the kite as a flotation device until safety boats are able to retrieve you. This rescue may not be immediate. You will be spotted easier by staying with your gear. It will be highly difficult to spot you if you do not stay with your gear. Wrap your orange jerseys around your arm or board then elevate above the waves; the fluorescent orange will be a great visual aid for safety boats. Windsurf and Wind Wing will be required to break down sails/wings before rescue.
● After Rescue- The competitor/s will be dropped off at closest exit points. (See “exit points”) From there it is up to the competitor to arrange transportation. After your rescue, you will automatically be accounted for to beach safety but we still want you to try and contact your teammate.
● Partner/Teammate- All competitors are required to be in contact with their respective partner. You will not be scored if you do not know where your partner is located when asked. If you cannot find your partner at the end of the race, you are required to notify the Race Committee or Land Officers. If you are at the start line, you are required to check-in by calling or sending a text message to the shop (727)800-2202. This is the Elite Watersports Shop number that will be forwarded to 5 phones. If you do not check-in with us, the COAST GUARD WILL BE CALLED and notified of your disappearance 2 hours after the start of the race. You will be responsible for any bills inquired for your rescue or search.
RETIREMENT: You are not able to quit the race without notifying one of the following: Race committee, safety boat, finish line boat, safety personnel, or land officer who are located at start and finish. Once you are checked in you will be excused with no further support. You have 1 hour and 30 minutes from the race start to finish the race. If you are not checked in 2 hours after start the proper authorities will be notified.
● All safety personnel have the authority to discontinue a participant's race. They will notify the race committee and you will be clearly notified verbally to vacate the race course.
● Upon making contact with safety personnel/boat, their first question will be “do you need to be rescued?” If you respond “No” they will move on to the next racer possibly in need. Focusing on one racer needing assistance for an extended period of time jeopardizes the safety of the entire fleet. They are there to rescue you and not assist you.
- We will be running this race on an honor system. -
- Starboard has right away. -
- If you are over the line early you must exit the course and return to the start line without interfering with the flow of traffic. -
- You must have reasonable forward movement to keep your board on plane at all times while waiting to start. No Squatters! This will cause a traffic jam and you will be disqualified. -
- Foilers will be able to have boards in water if this helps maintain control. -No collision at sea is acceptable. -
- Be courteous, and have etiquette. It’s a 10+mile race and you'll have plenty of time to keep up or make up. -
- It is highly recommended for competitors that are not taking the race as seriously to please have a static start located on the Lassing Park Sandbar.
- The start line will be closed 30 minutes after the start. Do not proceed. All who violate this rule will be disqualified and forfeit the right for rescue, support and acknowledgment.
- In case of a large entry of sailboats we may have two starts. TBD Start Line: East Wind Boat and Yellow buoy will have 100+ yards separation. Located perpendicular to the southernmost part of Lassing Park Beach.
Start Sequence is 3 minutes: October 1st, as early as 9:30am
- 9:30- Orange class flag goes up
- 9:31- Blue papa flag goes up
- 9:32- Blue papa flag goes down
- 9:33- Orange class flag goes down. Green Flag goes up. GO TIME!
- 10:03- End of start. You may not start racing after 10:03
- Time Allotted: 1 hour 30Minutes (course record=15min 48 seconds) The race committee and safety personnel will discontinue race support 1.5 hours after the start of race. Search and rescue will commence if all competitors are not accounted for at 2 hours after start. The Coast Guard will be notified of your disappearance.
Finish Line: The finish line will be south East of the Skyway beach sandbar. You must cross this line to finish the race. Using a 30’ boat with 15’ American Flag. 100 yards off the beam of the boat will be a yellow tetrahedron “pyramid” buoy. Make sure your jersey (number must be visible) is properly displayed. Proceed immediately to the beach and check in with the beach officer and find your partner.
Exit Points: East wind Race: There are 4x designated exit points along the east wind route. These are exit points we suggest you use in time of need. Safety boat captains will decide on what is the best location for drop off if they are assisting you. All competitors are responsible for transportation after drop off.
All safety boats will be monitoring VHF channel 68.
#1. Lassing Park 2042 Beach Dr SE, St. Petersburg, FL 33705
#2. Point Pinellas Boat ramp 500 Pinellas Point Dr S, St. Petersburg, FL 33705
#3. Scenic Windsurfing launch 33705 mid way between Skyway beach and St Petersburg main land.
#4. Skyway Beach Google Skyway Beach
Elite Watersports reserves the right to amend this document at any given time without notification.
Leave a comment